Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
It won't be Maine potato bread if you don't have a Maine potato on hand!
Make and share this Maine Potato Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Cook the shredded potato in just enough water to cover it, for 10 minutes. Cool & drain.
- Combine cooled & drained potato with orange juice concentrate, water, marmalade, oil and egg.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the liquid ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into 3 greased mini loaf pans and bake at 350° for 30-35 minute or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minute then remove from pans and let cool.
While I had high hopes for this bread, I am not sure it was able to deliver. There is a good chance that it was my "messing around" with the recipe that could have been at fault. Here is what I did: I subbed in 1 cup of whole wheat flour instead of all white and I made it in a muffin pan as I don't have mini loaf pans. I checked the "muffins" frequently so's not to burn them and I ended up (in my over-eagerness) under cooking them. After I had realized this (10 minutes later) I put them back into the oven for another 10 minutes or so. This seems to have done the trick. I did find that the batter was VERY thick when it was all mixed and so I tried adding in more orange juice concentrate. I think that resulted in my over mixing of the batter. I never did get it to be any thinner though. The result is a fairly dense bread. I would have liked the flavour to have been a bit more intense. I felt that it just wasn't quite there enough. All that being said, I have no qualms trying this recipe again. I look forward to trying it again... without all my changes. I felt that since there were so many things that could have been my fault that it was unfair to assign stars. The recipe does not seem bad and I would hate to discourage someone else due to my short-comings. Thank you for a great experience! I really enjoyed making these, despite all my problems! :)