Recipe by Doreen Randal
These are delicious, the batter is nice and crisp. I left out the fennel (don't like it). Prep and cooking times and servings are estimated
Top Review by andy#2
I must of tryed a heap of mussel fritter recipes in the past this has got to be the best. They are not as soggy in the middle as most recipes turn out, i must admit i did put 50/50 cornmeal/flour and y medium chopped mussel meat (500gms) no onion etc, cornmeal is the key. Thanks so much Doreen Bob Whitianga, Coromandel nz
Magical Mussel Fritters Batter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 300 g steamed mussels, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander or 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red capsicum
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 spring onion, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat all the batter ingredients together well.
- Add the mussel mix and stir well.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy frying pan and saute heaped tablespoonfuls of the fritter mix, until golden on both sides.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.