Pasta With a Lot of Mussel
- Ready In:
- coarse salt
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half-moons
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- coarse black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen brand)
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- crusty bread
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt, then add the pasta; cook al dente per package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add in the chorizo; cook for 2 minutes; add in the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes; then add in the wine and tomatoes; bring to a bubble/simmer.
- Add in the mussels and cover with the tight-fitting lid or some aluminum foil; cook 4-6 minutes or until the mussels open.
- Discard any unopened shells; using a slotted spoon and transfer the mussels to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the drained cooked pasta and parsley to the skillet with the chorizo and tomatoes; toss to coat in the sauce; cook for 1 minute.
- Divide the pasta among 4 serving plates; top each bowl of pasta with a portion of the mussels.
- Serve immediately with the crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made this on Saturday for dinner...absolutely divine. So quick and easy to make and not expensive and the flavors were amazing. Company would think you slaved over a hot stove for a while because it was so great looking. Made it as is written except I used linguini. My mussels came in a 2 lb bag, so I made the meal for the 2 of us and with the leftover mussels I cooked them and then just added to the portion that was left over for my sweethearts dinner for the next day for work. So basically I got 3 portions out of the recipe, maybe my portions are bigger and that's why I didn't get 4 servings but it was so good. I will definitely make this again, thanks so much for sharing ratherbeswimmin, your recipes are always so good.
TOTALLY divine if you love moules as we do, you must try this! This was a superb pasta dish. I had made moules frites the day before, so I put some moules aside for this recipe.......then all I had to do was make the sauce, boil the pasta - I used fettucini - and heat up the moules in the pasta water - et voila! Made for the Seafood Photo Event in the Photos Forum August 2008 - and ON my list to make again already! Merci - FT:-)