Recipe by kstrating
Resembles a custard filled cake, but it does it all on its own! Please follow directions carefully, for best results (e.g. - milk needs to be luke warm, butter allowed to cool).
- 4 eggs, separated & room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 3⁄4 cup flour (4 oz)
- 2 cups milk, luke warm
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 Fahrenheit, 160 Celsius.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until light.
- Add the tablespoon of water & the drizzle butter in, continuing to beat for a minute or two.
- Add the flour, fully incorporating it.
- Slowly add the milk & continue beating on low until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the egg/butter/milk mixture into a bowl & set aside while you go on.
- IMPORTANT: Wash beaters & bowl (if using same) VERY well, to ensure not a speck of butter or egg yolk remain.
- Whip egg whites until stiff.
- GENTLY, whisk the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, a third at a time, until all egg whites are fully folded in .
- Pour into greased 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Bake 60 - 70 minutes, until top is lightly golden.
- Cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut to desired size.
- Note: Yes, you could whip the egg whites prior to beating the yolks, setting them aside, and adding to the yolk mixture, when ready. Just be aware there is the possibility that the whites may separate while they are waiting.