Recipe by Oolala
From the restaurant chain. I just had it in FL and it was so delicious. Couldn't stop eating it. I got the recipe on-line. I made it with 1 cup (not 2 cups of oil)for the dressing and it was perfect. Also, I have used just Romaine and it was delicious too. Splenda can sub for sugar.
Top Review by jodyladybug
Maggiano's is one of my fave places, and we always get this salad. I made some changes and believe it to be RIGHT ON. Here they are: 1. like you mentioned, 1 cup of vegtable oil 2. 2 TABLESPOONS of sugar, instead of teaspoons. 3. the bleu cheese really HAS to be gorgonzola This is soooo good. My husband and I have been eating it for DAYS... just can't get enough of it! He can't believe that we can now have this salad at home... and nightly! Our tummies thank you sooo much!!!!
For the Salad
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, bite-size
- 5 cups iceberg lettuce, bite-size
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- corn oil, for frying
- 4 ounces thinly slices prosciutto, cut into 2-inch squares
For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, deep skillet, heat 1/2-inch corn oil. Add Prosciutto and cook until it turns dark brown and curls up on ends. Drain on paper towels. Cool and crumble into small bits.
- For dressing, in medium mixing bowl, combine mustard, sugar, water, garlic, vinegar and salt. Whisk until combined. Whisk in oil in thin stream. Add pepper and oregano; whisk to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more sugar or garlic if necessary.
- Place lettuce, onion, cheese and Prosciutto in large bowl; toss. Add enough dressing to lightly coat leaves; toss and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate extra dressing in airtight container for future use.