1/1 Photo of Maftoul With Chicken - Middle Eastern (Israeli Cous Cous)
1 hr 10 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Maftoul is basically very large couscous. You can use Lebanese couscous, Israeli couscous, Berkukis etc for this beautiful dish. Easy to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups chickpeas (tinned)
- 5 cups maftoul couscous
- 8 pieces chicken, of your choice (or a whole chicken portioned)
- 4 onions, sliced into semi circles
- 1 cup chopped tomato (fresh or tinned)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 pints water
- 1Fry the spices and onion in a little olive oil. Add the chicken and seal well.
- 2Bring 1/2 liter of water to the boil. Place maftoul in large bowl and pour over enough to cover the maftoul. After 10 seconds, drain off water and mix in 1/2 tsp salt before placing maftoul in the steamer.
- 3Pour tomatoes over chicken and add salt & pepper to taste. Cover with water (water should come about 2" over the ingredients). At this point you can add a chicken stock cube if you wish. Cover and cook for 45 mins on medium heat.
- 4If you have a large couscousier or double steamer you can cook the sauce in the bottom and maftoul in the top which is preferable as the maftoul absorbs the flavours --.
- 5Remove the chicken from the sauce and place on a baking sheet in the oven (180 degrees c) for 10 minutes to brown off and dry out.
- 6Whilst chicken is in the oven, add the chickpeas to the sauce and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- 7Check seasoning. Take 8 bowls, divide the maftoul between them. Pour over some sauce then top with the chicken pieces.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maftoul With Chicken - Middle Eastern (Israeli Cous Cous)
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 75.0 mg
- Sodium 536.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 40.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: