Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Recipe courtesy of FEASTING GALORE IRISH STYLE (Hippocrene Books, 2001) by Maura Laverty; posting for ZWT. Prep/cook times are an estimate.
- 4 slices bread (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated hard cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 chopped shallots (scallions) or 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 1 egg
- bacon fat or butter (for frying)
- Cream 1 tablespoon butter, add grated cheese, cream cheese, garlic, and seasonings, beating well until smooth.
- Chop the shallots or onions, add to the remaining butter, and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Spread this filling on two slices of bread, cover with the other two, pressing well together.
- Cut in halves or quarters, brush with beaten egg, and fry golden brown in butter or bacon fat.