Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
From "The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics" by Jessica Porter
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup barley, best soaked in water overnight
- 6 cups water
- 1 inch piece kombu
- 3 slices gingerroot (thin slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats or 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons barley miso (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- fresh watercress (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- Place mushrooms, barley, water, kombu, and ginger in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer 40 minutes or until barley is softened. With a handheld food processor, whiz the rolled oates into almost a flour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onions. Add the flour and saute with onions, coating them well. Take 1/2 cup of soup from the pot and slowly stir it into onion-flour mixture, avoiding lumping. Add to soup mixture.
- Dilute miso in a cup with some of the soup. Add this liquid to the soup and let simmer 5 minutes. Right at the end, squeeze the lemon juice, if desired, into the soup. Garnish and serve.
- Feel free to build on this soup with corn kernels, diced celery, and roasted red pepper toward the end.