1/2 Photos of Macedonian Stuffed Cabbage With Thick Avgolemono
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is based on one from The Complete Book of Greek Cooking, the recipe club of Saint Paul’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral. Also known as Sarmades me Avgolemono, a traditional regional dish from the northern part of Greece. The long cooking time is necessary because of the pork filling. NOTE: Leftover steamed leaves can be frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap. To use, bring to room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- boiling water
- 3 -4 medium cabbage (about 40 cabbage leaves)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup raw converted rice
- 2 -3 lemons, peeled and sliced
THICK AVGOLEMONO SAUCE
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully remove outer leaves from cabbage, keeping leaves from tearing. Parboil them about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- 2Place sauerkraut in bottom of Dutch oven. Tip: use a large pot and do not fill to the top. Layer a few cabbage leaves over the sauerkraut.
- 3Thoroughly combine beef, pork, salt, pepper, onions, and rice. Carefully remove heavy center vein from steamed cabbage leaves and cut each leaf in half. Place 1 rounded tablespoon of meat mixture near cut end of leaf; fold over. Fold edges in toward center and roll up tightly. Repeat until you’ve used up all the meat mixture or the cabbage leaves. Place rolls in casserole with lemon slices between the layers. Cover with an inverted heavy plate to act as a weight. Add enough boiling water to cover rim of plate. Cover casserole, bring slowly to a boil, and simmer gently until liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.
- 4After the rolls have cooked, prepare the sauce:.
- 5Beat eggs until frothy; add lemon juice. Gradually add hot stock, beating constantly. Pour into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- 6To serve, place several rolls on each plate and spoon some cooked sauerkraut over them; top with Thick Avgolemono Sauce. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macedonian Stuffed Cabbage With Thick Avgolemono
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.3
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 188.9 mg
- Sodium 774.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 40.4 g