Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was given this recipe in high school, and have tweaked it to my heart's content. Watch out---It doesn't last long.
- 12 ounces small shell pasta (any macaroni would work)
- cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, diced
- bacon, fried and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can peas, drained*
- 1 piece green pepper, diced
- salt & pepper
- Miracle Whip or mayonnaise, thinned
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Add remaining ingredients. Refrigerate a few hours to blend flavors.
- NOTE: Taste salad after a few hours. May need to salt, pepper, add more mayonnaise, etc.
- I have altered this recipe a variety of ways, depending on what I have in the house.
- ~~ Ham instead of bacon.
- ~~ 1/2 to 3/4 bag of frozen peas instead of can of peas (pour on hot macaroni in colander---the macaroni cools, the peas thaw). Then add remaining ingredients.
- ~~ Add mustard, honey mustard, parsley flakes, dried onion, etc. to mayonnaise mixture.
Very tasty macaroni salad! I used about 4 oz cheddar and 5 slices of precooked bacon, cooked crisp. The cheese, bacon and peas worked nicely together in this salad. Thanks for posting your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009