1/2 Photos of Macaroni-Cheese Without the Pot of Water!
This recipe helps you make a quick, simple version of Macaroni-Cheese, without the hassle of actually boiling a huge pot of water! I've made this often ages ago and just discovered the recipe again. It's really clever to measure just enough water to cook the macaroni! Ideal family dish, or to freeze for later. As I only have a yellowed, pasted clipping in a scrapbook, I have no idea where it came from. I'd suggest you add a few extras if you like, such as a little hot pepper, or instead of using grated cheddar you could make a cheese sauce instead. But this simple dish is great just as it is, for busy moms with kids!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tomatoes, large and ripe
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb macaroni (the elbow macaroni in short pieces, 500g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped into large pieces (125 g)
- 1 lb ground beef (500g)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (250 g)
- 1Heat oven to 325°F/160°C, and grease an oven dish.
- 2Peel the tomatoes and chop into pieces.
- 3Heat the water to boiling, and add the macaroni little by little (to keep the water boiling).
- 4Also add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil, stir now and then, and cook without a lid until the macaroni is tender and the mixture is sort of saucy.
- 5While that is cooking, fry the onion and bacon in a little oil until softened and cooked.
- 6Add the ground beef, and stir with a fork to loosen the meat. Stir until cooked through.
- 7Ladle the macaroni mixture into the greased oven dish. Spread half the meat mixture over the top, and then half the grated cheddar.
- 8Add rest of the meat, then the last of the cheddar.
- 9Bake, open, in the preheated oven until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni-Cheese Without the Pot of Water!
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.4
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.9 mg
- Sodium 1228.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 36.3 g