Recipe by Derf
Comfort food with a lot of taste! Entry for Ready Set Cook #3 contest.
Top Review by Susie D
This was excellent, lots of flavor & taste in this rich dish. With the vegetables and sausage it is a full meal. I did make a few substitutions. I used frozen corn kernels rather than the cob and cut back on oil where I felt I could. I loved the spices added to the sausage. Great idea and they spiced the mild sausage I was using up to where it wasn't lost in the mix. I served with a green salad and garlic bread. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
- 6 oktoberfest pork sausage or 6 your favourite pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 ear sweet corn, fresh or frozen, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 medium carrot, cubed
- 1 peeled sweet potatoes or 1 yam, cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (385 ml) can 2% evaporated milk, add fresh
- 2% low-fat milk, to make 3 cups
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry thyme leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cooked penne pasta (we like whole wheat penne)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pork sausage in a large Dutch oven, brown on all sides, drain fat and poke each sausage several times with a sharp knife.
- Return to Dutch oven, cover with water, add hot red pepper flakes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour, remove to drain on paper towel.
- Discard water and bay leaves.
- Slice sausage into bite size pieces, set aside.
- Place veggies in a large bowl, drizzle veggie oil over all, toss until all veggies are well coated.
- Spread coated veggies, in one layer, on lightly greased baking sheet; roast for 25 minutes at 450f degrees, turning once.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of the milk with flour.
- In a saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge; whisk in flour mixture and bring to boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cheddar and cream cheese, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water; cook pasta until barely tender.
- Drain well and return to pot; stir in sauce.
- Add bite size pieces pork sausage.
- Remove corn kernels from husks, discard husks, add all roasted veggies to pasta/sausage/sauce mixture, stir gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into greased 10 cup casserole.
- Topping: Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake at 450f degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbly and golden.