Posted as request for low-sodium mac 'n cheese. Comfort food made healthy!! This can be served as a main dish or as a hearty side dish. Add chopped, cooked chicken or turkey to make it a meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, prepared according to package and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I use broccoli, red pepper, onions, and mushrooms)
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese (or red.-fat cream cheese)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2In large bowl, toss together cooked macaroni, thawed vegetables, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- 3In food processor, blend Neufchatel cheese and buttermilk.
- 4Fold buttermilk mixture and half of shredded cheddar into macaroni and vegetable mixture.
- 5Spoon into large casserole dish lightly coated with non-stick spray.
- 6Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- 7Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 8Optional: Broil 4-5 minutes, until cheese on top is crisp and lightly browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Primavera
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.3
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 235.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 13.6 g