Recipe by Manda
Posted as request for low-sodium mac 'n cheese. Comfort food made healthy!! This can be served as a main dish or as a hearty side dish. Add chopped, cooked chicken or turkey to make it a meal.
Top Review by Laurie H.
Yummy, but hey, not all that healthy unless maybe whole wheat pasta. Easy and better substitute for frozen veg's: chop a little extra of each veg you make/use during the week (onions, broc, carrots, whatever), and use that to put this together on the weekend for a Mon./Tues. dinner! I steamed the broc a little, and sauteed onions and carrots, before mixing in. Chopped red peppers went in raw. Sauce is delish. I added some Romano/Parm mix on top as well.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, prepared according to package and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I use broccoli, red pepper, onions, and mushrooms)
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese (or red.-fat cream cheese)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, toss together cooked macaroni, thawed vegetables, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- In food processor, blend Neufchatel cheese and buttermilk.
- Fold buttermilk mixture and half of shredded cheddar into macaroni and vegetable mixture.
- Spoon into large casserole dish lightly coated with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Optional: Broil 4-5 minutes, until cheese on top is crisp and lightly browned.