Southern Lady's Note:
This is delicious......can't stop eating it comfort food, yet its gourmet quality serves company with returned compliments.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces pasta, prepared (mini penne, shells, elbow)
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced (fresh is best)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or Vegetable)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 -8 ounces fontini cheese (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (your preference)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus added salt for pasta water
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Cook pasta in salted water until al dente, drain.
- 2In 1 T butter, saute onion for 2 mins and add garlic cooking for another 1 minute.
- 3While pasta water is heating, beat the egg well in a medium bowl.
- 4In a 16 oz measuring cup, pour the Evaporated Milk and heat in microwave until right below a boil.
- 5Start whisking a fews drops of warmed milk into the egg. Continue doing this until you've used about half the milk. Pour the remaining milk in and mix well. (This process will keep egg/milk from curdling). Set aside.
- 6In a medium pot over medium heat, melt remaining butter and add flour slowly whisking until crumbly. Continue whisking for another minute to heat thru the flour.
- 7Over medium high heat, slowly add milk mixture until it starts to thicken.
- 8Whisk in chicken broth and heat for a minute of so, lower temp back to medium and add sour cream, and 2 cups of cheddar a handful at a time, continuing to whisk throughout.
- 9Crumble the fontini cheese into mixture, stirring until nice and smooth and never to a boil.
- 10Add Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and adjust at this time.
- 11Add cheese sauce to the pasta pot and mix well. Pour in an 8x8 casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar (I use more) and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
- 12Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes. Let sit 5 mins before serving.
- 13Note: This recipe tastes even better if you can prepare ahead of time, refrigerate and reheat before serving. Either way, it's delicious!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Easy Gourmet
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.9
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 770.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 18.5 g