Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious......can't stop eating it comfort food, yet its gourmet quality serves company with returned compliments.
- 8 ounces pasta, prepared (mini penne, shells, elbow)
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced (fresh is best)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (or Vegetable)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 5 -8 ounces fontini cheese (room temperature)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (your preference)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus added salt for pasta water
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente, drain.
- In 1 T butter, saute onion for 2 mins and add garlic cooking for another 1 minute.
- While pasta water is heating, beat the egg well in a medium bowl.
- In a 16 oz measuring cup, pour the Evaporated Milk and heat in microwave until right below a boil.
- Start whisking a fews drops of warmed milk into the egg. Continue doing this until you've used about half the milk. Pour the remaining milk in and mix well. (This process will keep egg/milk from curdling). Set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt remaining butter and add flour slowly whisking until crumbly. Continue whisking for another minute to heat thru the flour.
- Over medium high heat, slowly add milk mixture until it starts to thicken.
- Whisk in chicken broth and heat for a minute of so, lower temp back to medium and add sour cream, and 2 cups of cheddar a handful at a time, continuing to whisk throughout.
- Crumble the fontini cheese into mixture, stirring until nice and smooth and never to a boil.
- Add Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and adjust at this time.
- Add cheese sauce to the pasta pot and mix well. Pour in an 8x8 casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar (I use more) and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes. Let sit 5 mins before serving.
- Note: This recipe tastes even better if you can prepare ahead of time, refrigerate and reheat before serving. Either way, it's delicious!