Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A little different and very good. Recipe from Moosewood cookbook. Has a bit of a tang. I sometimes will add an egg and a little more cheese just because I find it a little runny without.
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk or 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 cup grated extra old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Mix everything but the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Pour into greased 9x10" pan.
- Mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minute Until knife inserted comes out clean.
This was WONDERFUL! I added a dash of thyme as per my tastes and also a second pinch of cayenne (not necessary). My cheddar wasn't "old" either, and I used matza meal instead of breadcrumbs. This was flavorful and EXACTLY what I had been looking for. It also couldn't have been easier. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you don't have to precook the macaroni. Delicious. Thanks, cookalot#2!