Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is said to have arrived in Macau decades ago with Mozambican soldiers.
Make and share this Macanese African Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon dried chili, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, halved
- 1 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups red bell peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter (smooth type)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
- In a bowl, stir together the chili pepper, garlic, shallots, paprika, five-spice powder and rosemary. Rub the mixture into the chicken, place the bird in a shallow dish, cover and chill overnight or for at least six hours.
- Cook the shallots, garlic and bell pepper in the oil, in a pot over moderately low heat. Stir the vegetables until they have softened. Then stir in the paprika, coconut, coconut milk, peanut butter, broth and bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Brown the chicken with the potato cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Transfer the chicken and potatoes to a baking dish, spoon two cups of the sauce over the chicken and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with the remaining sauce. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf.