Recipe by Steve P.
This recipe is per a board request for this Hawaiian treat. The recipe originates from a recipe from the Residential Services Division Organization: Hawaiian Electric Company
Top Review by skwerl
Made this a couple of weeks ago. The custard was nice and thick when it finished cooking. For some reason the filling didn't "set" after being refrigerated. It was a very delicious, but very messy, pie. I'm not sure what went wrong.
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 whole egg
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of the milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1/4 cup of the nuts, the salt and the vanilla; scald.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup milk with 1 whole egg and cornstarch.
- Thoroughly stir some of hot mixture into egg mixture (adding a small amount first to even out the temperature helps to prevent the egg from scrambling when added to the rest of the hot mixture); return all to saucepan.
- Cook 5 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Cool 1 hour.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold carefully into cooled mixture.
- Pour into pie shell; chill.
- Before serving, top with sweetened whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup nuts.