Prep 13 mins
Cook 12 mins
Frozen peas are not only cheaper than fresh, they're often sweeter since they're usually frozen very soon after being harvested. Keep some on hand to add color and springtime flavor to everything from pasta and rice to meat. (From Betty Crocker's "Money Saving Meals" cookbook).
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen baby sweet peas
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cheese, blend shredded (cheddar-American blend)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- In 3 quart saucepan, heat broth to boiling over Medium-High heat.
- Add pasta; heat to boiling.
- Boil 6 minutes; do not drain.
- Reduce heat and stir in peas and sausage.
- Cover and simmer 3-5 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Add American-Cheddar cheese; toss gently until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.