1/1 Photo of Mac and Jack and Cheese
A macaroni and cheese made with pepper jack for a tiny bit of a kick! Inspired by Ina Garten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tomato
- 3/4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs or 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup jarred pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it (I sometimes just microwave). Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4 qt.) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk a little at a time and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the pepper jack, cheddar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3 quart baking dish.
- 4Slice the tomato and arrange on top with the jalapenos. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine butter with bread crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top. If you want it more browned, try broiling ti for 2 minutes at the end.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac and Jack and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.6
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 115.3 mg
- Sodium 1435.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 30.3 g