This is the dieters dream cake! It's rich and bold in flavor, but not bad on the waist line. This recipe is also wonderful when it is made with or without the cocoa powder and fresh fruit is added.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup skim milk (I like the evaporated milk. It makes it more dense, and almost brownie like) or 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk (I like the evaporated milk. It makes it more dense, and almost brownie like)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (depending on how dense you like your cake)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a nonfat cooking spray (I like the butter flavored, but anything will work just fine) grease a pound cake pan.
- In a medium bowl sift or stir together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and flour.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg whites, sour cream, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 the milk, 1/3 flour, 1/2 milk, 1/3 flour.
- Got it?.
- Pour mixture into the greased pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a wood toothpick comes out clean.