Recipe by Nicole N
My friend, Lucy and I, describe ourselves as fishing widows. It can be challenging to come up with new ways to prepare fish, but Lucy recently came up with this. My family fell in love with it, so I thought I should share it.
- 1 kg whole fish
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make 2-3 deep slashes on both sides of the fish and lay out a double layer of foil.
- Combine coconut cream, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, chili powder and lemon juice.
- Spread 1/3 of the coconut cream mixture on the foil and lay the (cleaned) fish on top of the coconut cream mixture.
- Spread some of the coconut cream mixture inside the cavity of the fish and pour the rest of the coconut cream mixture over the fish and seal parcel making sure there is no air around the fish.
- Bake at 180°C for 12- 15 minutes per 500 grams or until the fish flakes at the thickest part- only way to tell is to open the package every now and then.
- Remove from oven and leave to stand for approximately ten minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Discard the head, tail and fins; then peel away skin.
- Flake the fish onto a clean piece of foil and pour any cooking juices over the flesh.
- Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with fresh bread and a green leafy salad.