Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
One of the most requested recipes from Luby's 50th Anniversary Cookbook. Use real lemons for the very best flavor.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 extra-large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Mix until well blended.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over filling making sure to go to edge of crust.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Refrigerate until served.
A good pie, better than common lemon meringue pie. I'm going to use Persian limes next time, and see how close it tastes to key lime pie.
This was the ice-box lemon pie that my mom used to make. This pie is fabulous