Luby's Cafeteria Macaroni and Cheese
This is a classic favorite of all of the Luby's Cafeteria customers. From the Luby's 50th Anniversary Recipe Collection Cookbook. The taste of this M&C might be a little bland, but you can always kick it up.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni (8 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 3 cups American cheese, shredded (12 oz.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter.
- Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly.
- Add 1 1/2 of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt.
- Transfer to lightly greased 2-qt baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I've been making this recipe for 20 plus years, in fact it's the most requested side for every holiday gathering. Don't substitute anything. Always use yellow American cheese (the deli can cut a block off for you then shred using the grater on your food processor). And follow the directions EXACTLY. It's easy to double, triple, or even do 5 times the amount in this recipe. Believe me, one batch isn't enough!1Reply
I switched out the American Cheese for Sharp Cheddar and Swiss Cheese (about 4 oz of swiss in the single recipe) for more flavor and doubled the recipe. There is no way the original recipe would have fed 8 people...even doubling it would not do that. Also, instead of holding back cheese to sprinkle on top, I browned some plain bread crumbs in butter and sprinkled it over the top. I only covered it with foil for the first 15 minutes and then uncovered it for the remainder of the time. Since I doubled it, I did have to cook the recipe for about 10 minutes longer.Replies 1
see 20 more