Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
From the Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary Cookbook for fans of cafeteria cuisine. The contrasting textures and tangy-sweet taste of this salad make it a hands-down crowd pleaser. Cut cheese, celery, and bell pepper into pea-size pieces to enhance the salad's appearance. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans peas, gently rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely diced cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced sweet gherkin
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup pimentos
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Easy & very tasty. When you are married to a Texas guy, you must know how to make Pea Salad. I use dill pickle relish because it's easier and he says definitely pimiento. Thanks
Perfect! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. It takes EXACTLY like Luby's pea salad. I debated over frozen or canned peas and I'm glad that I went with the canned peas. This is key. I also used sweet relish because I didn't feel like chopping. I couldn't tell the difference. Also, it's important to let it sit in the refrigerator all day or overnight. Much like potato and pasta salads, this pea salad tastes best after chilling for a while.
A nice, simple side salad. It was OK, but a bit on the bland side for me. I added a little chilli and salt.