Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my adaptation of Family Circle's Lean Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie. The servings here are VERY generous! I actually like to make this for 1 serving, using individual sized casserole dishes. If you are a single or 2 person household, individual serving casserole dishes are a must! If you have not worked with phyllo before...see note below. I calculated my recipe to be around 400 calories per serving...
- 151.10 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 sheet phyllo dough
- 236.59 ml frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, beans)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 3 stalk celery
- 236.59 ml fat-free chicken broth
- 40.22 ml white whole wheat flour
- 78.07 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 3.30 ml olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 19.67 ml chopped parsley
- 4.92 ml rubbed sage
- 6.55 ml parmesan cheese (14g)
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt, to taste (optional)
- pepper, to taste
- NOTE: If you have never worked with phyllo before, don’t be afraid! Read the box directions carefully and have everything prepared to assemble before you open the phyllo. (And, it is pronounced “fee-low.”).
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a round casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add ½ tsp olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook through until no longer pink. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, onion, garlic, and celery to skillet; cook 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half. Cook, stirring until mixture comes to a slight boil.
- Add frozen vegetables, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on medium/low, simmering and stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, parsley, and sage. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Unroll phyllo. Remove 2 sheets to the counter and spray them lightly with cooking spray. Place them in the bottom of the casserole dish so they cross each other, and run up the sides.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Fold phyllo over the top. Remove 2 more sheets, coat with spray, and place them on top of the pie so they cross each other. Tuck the edges down the sides as best you can.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until hot and bubbly inside. Let stand 5-8 minutes before serving.
This was the perfect light alternative to the normally heavy pot pie crust. The only change I made was to use a can of cream of mushroom in place of the flour and half and half. It turned out great! And you were correct, this does make two huge portions.
This was terrific! I make it often and use fresh carrots with frozen green beans.
This was great! When I have phyllo in your freezer I love to find recipes to use it up.I used freshly cooked potatoes,carrots and mushrooms instead of the frozen ones.Love the idea of the Pam(I used butter flavoured). Will make this again for sure.It looks as if you worked hard to prepare but it's so easy. Like you say don't be afraid of phyllo;it's fun.Thanks for posting;it's going in my Best from Zaar. Rita/Sage