Recipe by PSU Lioness
This one is from the Rock Recipes website. It cuts fat and calories by baking the breaded chicken instead of frying it. This would also make a great sauce for grilled chicken wings.
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs or 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons soya sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste (use (to taste) or 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce, if you don't like it very hot (use (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- rice (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together egg and 2 tbsp water to make an egg wash.
- Combine flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground ginger and salt in a shallow dish.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle or the tops with a little more olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-3o minutes. Flip the pieces at half way through the cooking time.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce. Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, 1/4 c water, toasted sesame seed oil, hot chili paste, salt, corn starch, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 1/4 c water.
- Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel.
- When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel.
- Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces and serve over plain steamed rice.