PSU Lioness's Note:
This one is from the Rock Recipes website. It cuts fat and calories by baking the breaded chicken instead of frying it. This would also make a great sauce for grilled chicken wings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs or 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons soya sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste (use (to taste) or 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce, if you don't like it very hot (use (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- rice (for serving)
- 1Whisk together egg and 2 tbsp water to make an egg wash.
- 2Combine flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground ginger and salt in a shallow dish.
- 3Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- 4Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle or the tops with a little more olive oil.
- 5Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-3o minutes. Flip the pieces at half way through the cooking time.
- 6While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce. Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- 7In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, 1/4 c water, toasted sesame seed oil, hot chili paste, salt, corn starch, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- 8In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 1/4 c water.
- 9Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel.
- 10When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel.
- 11Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- 12Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces and serve over plain steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lower Fat Baked General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.7
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 221.6 mg
- Sodium 1826.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 33.7 g
- Protein 44.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar