Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great tasting low-sugar blueberry muffins or cake! Easy, tasty, delicious! What more could you ask for?? And to be even more great, you can substitute any kind of berry in this! This recipe uses regular bagged Splenda and regular sugar. If you use Splenda for baking, just use 3/4 cup Splenda for baking in the cake and 1/2 cup Splenda for baking in the topping.
- Mix oil, egg, and milk together, stirring well.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar,1/4 cup splenda, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a third bowl use a fork to cut together the 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup butter, and the cinnamon.
- Make a well in flour, sugar, splenda, salt and baking powder mix and pour in the oil, egg and milk.
- Stir till lumps are gone; fold in blueberries (I used 2 cups).
- Spread in oiled 8x8 cake pan or in cupcake papers.
- Sprinkle the third mix over all.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes for cake, or 15-20 minutes for cupcakes,.
- You can also use parchment to line the pan.
I was looking for a low sugar muffin recipe to make for my 1 year old, so gave this a try and they turned out great! I rated as 4 stars as I made a few adjustments which I thought worked really well - I left out the splenda completely as these were for my baby boy. I didn't increase the amount of sugar, and the sweetness was just right, even my husband and I love these. I used frozen blueberries instead of fresh as that is what I had on hand. Lastly, I didn't make the sugar crumb topping as I didn't feel this recipe needed extra sugar on top given I was wanting to minimize the amount of sugar. I made these as mini muffins, and they are disappearing quickly - I would definitely recommend these!