Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a rich and satisfying soup. Recipe is from "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet!".
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 lb mushroom, trimmed and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken or beef broth)
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne or 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and let vegetable mixture steam for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms exude their moisture.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that may have clung to the pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir together sour cream and milk until smooth, whisk into the mushroom mixture and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and cayenne or Tabasco, if desired, and serve.