Recipe by SJG3483
The biggest problem I had while making these is that I kept wanting to eat the batter, though I'm glad I saved some for cooking. Note: they hold up better overnight and stay moist if they are slightly undercooked. They have no egg, and can be made with non-dairy margarine for those with dietary restrictions.
Top Review by Monica25
Unfortunately, the instructions were not super clear. I added the oatmeal with the first 6 ingredients because it was not indicated when they should be added. Also the pan size was not mentioned. I used an 8x8 but am guessing that I should have used a 9x13. Also is it 1 cup or 1.5 cups pineapple?
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (juice drained and set aside)
- additional pineapple juice, as needed
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (from the pineapple)
- 1 cup confectionars sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 6 ingredients until well mixed.
- If it gets too thick, add a little bit of pinapple juice.
- Add the pineapple mix until well combined (use more juice as needed).
- Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven before the top starts to brown.
- They will stay moist longer if they are slightly undercooked.
- Combine powdered sugar with pineapple juice and spread on top of bars.