Cherry Filled Oatmeal Squares
This is a great recipe. Very, very easy to prepare--even faster to eat!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (21 ounce) can light cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In large bowl, mix sugar, walnuts, oats, butter and flour.
- Use fingers until crumbs form; reserve 1 1/2 cups.
- Press remaining crumbs in bottom of 9-inch square baking dish.
- Combine cinnamon in cherry filling; spread over crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over; press gently.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack; cut into squares.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I double-checked the recipe to make sure I followed instructions, and I did exactly, with the only exception being that I used quick oats rather than old-fashioned (didn't have any). I was surprised at the bland flavor. I think salted butter would have helped, as well as a little more sugar. I used a pint of pie filling; it was loaded with cherries, not labeled as "light" yet not that sweet. The bars were very crumbly, and my guests didn't take seconds. I agree that these are good for breakfast, as they are healthier than the average cookie, and not too sweet, but not for dessert, unless some modifications are made. Of course, it's not a bad idea to ease up on the sugar now and then...