Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe on ILovePasta.org and adapted it slightly. This has incredible flavor and is a wonderful twist on "Fajita Night" at our house.
- 453.59 g penne pasta, uncooked
- 453.59 g lean steak
- 295.73 ml tomato juice, divided
- 59.14 ml lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced yellow onion
- 236.59 ml nonfat sour cream
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 236.59 ml shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Slice steak diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch strips.
- Place steak in zip-top plastic bag.
- Add 1/2 cup tomato juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, remove steak from marinade. Discard marinade.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; add oil and place over high heat until hot enough to sizzle.
- Add steak and cook 3 minutes or until done to taste. Remove steak from skillet and keep warm.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray. Add pepper strips and onion to skillet; sauté until crisp-tender.
- When pasta is done, drain well. Place in a large bowl.
- Add steak, pepper mixture, sour cream, jalapeño, and remaining 3/4 cup tomato juice. Toss.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: If desired, sprinkle with shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.
Pretty awesome! I added 1 tbs chill powder to the beef. Could work with chicken as well, I bet.
Pretty good! I especially loved the marinated steak... and I usually hate red meat of any kind. I didn't change anything at all, but I did add sliced serrano peppers to the dish when it was done. Tasted great with the added heat.
DH had to work late, so I made this for dinner last night for the kids and I. We enjoyed it very much. Only comment made that wasn't top notch was "Mom, next time a little less spice would be nice" but I knew that would be the case because my oldest doesn't like anything remotely spicy...she ate it though. When I brought the recipe back up to post my review this morning, I realized that I left out one key ingredient...the sour cream. Now I can't wait to try the recipe again...only as it is written. It will probably cut down on the spice a little for my daughter. Thanks for sharing this recipe Sylvie, it is going in the keeper file!