Recipe by Smadar's Sane Way Cc
This is one of my favorite dishes. It's a great dish for entertaining buffet style, or for a dairy family meal.It does require some preparation work.. but it's worth every bite! Everything can be prepared in advance and kept well covered in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- 1 1⁄8 kg eggplants (about 2 medium)
- 5 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons water (cold tub)
- 2 1⁄4 cups plain breadcrumbs (dry)
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes (chopped with all juices)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (fresh, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped, or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- olive oil flavored cooking spray (Pure , Pam)
- 250 g fat free mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- fresh grated black pepper, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with baking paper (or foil) and spray with olive oil spray.
- Peel eggplants, and cut crosswise into ~1/4"-thick slices.
- Beat egg whites + water in a shallow dish, and dip eggplant into egg whites, then into bread crumbs, pressing crumbs and cover thoroughly eggplant all over.
- Arrange the eggplant on prepared baking sheet and spray olive oil spray over eggplant slices.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning eggplant over after 20 minutes until golden-brown. (To prepare the entire amount I had to do this twice).
- Heat olive oil in pan, saute the onion until tender, add garlic and basil, and as soon as you smell the garlic add tomatoes with all the juices.
- Lower flame, add milk and continue to saute for 2-4 minutes until tomatoes are tender and pan full of fluids.
- Spoon 1/3 of Tomato Sauce Mixture from pan and spread into sprayed baking dish. 39X25 Cm Baking Dish (or 9-inch square).
- Place half of eggplant over sauce.
- Spoon 1/2 of remaining Tomato sauce over eggplant.
- Sprinkle half of mozzarella on top.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant, tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for 20 minutes - until eggplant is piping hot and sauce & cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot.