A la Carte's Note:
From BBC Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon hot curry paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cm gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 1/2 liters chicken stock or 1 1/2 liters vegetable stock
- 50 g small raisins
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, only
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g natural nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1Curry paste is made using vegetable oil but it has loads more flavour and none of the harshness of curry powder, so I do think it's worth sacrificing a few calories for.
- 2If you choose to substitute powder for paste, please do fry it in a little oil for a few minutes to take away the rawness of the spices.
- 3Place the curry paste, onion, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds in a large pan and cook gently together for three minutes.
- 4Add the lentils and stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- 5Add the sultanas and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the lime rind and juice and season to taste.
- 6Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a large spoonful of yoghurt and a sprinkling of mint.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Curried Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.1 mg
- Sodium 598.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: