I have adopted this recipe (feb 2006) and not made yet. If you make the recipe I would be highly interested in any comment on it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the brownie cake by whipping the egg whites in a large bowl (not plastic) with an electric mixer until they become thick.
- Add the sugar to the egg whites and continue beating until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Mix shortening, chocolate syrup, fudge sauce, water, and vanilla (wet mixture).
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- While beating the wet mixture, slowly add the dry mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with shortening.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pan and sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
I made this recipe for the Photo Swap. This was a good dessert but more like a cake than a typical brownie to me. I used Fudge Sauce for the fudge sauce. The brownie on its own was just ok but I served the browine with some vanilla ice cream and the extra fudge sauce which really enhanced the taste... but it was no longer low fat, lol!
I was curious to try this recipe because of the chocolate that you use. This was delcious! It was very moist and had a great chocolate flavor to it. Next time I would probaly add some chocolate chips to the batter-just for that little extra crunch. The cooking time was exact for me! Thanks for the recipe Thorsten!