Recipe by Maito
This is a fantastic and easy lower fat version modified from a recipe from Healthy Appetite (the show is hosted by dietitian Ellie Krieger). It can be made lactose free simply by using lactose free milk. Including the graham crackers, one serving contains 3.4 grams of fat, with only 0.6 grams of that saturated. Does not include set up time in the refrigerator.
- 12 low-fat graham crackers, preferably containing no trans fat (6 full sheets)
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread or 2 tablespoons other regular tub margarine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons banana rum or 2 teaspoons other rum
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3 bananas, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch pie tin with Pam.
- In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until finely ground. Add tub margarine and 1 tablespoon of water, and process until becomes crumbly and clumps form.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom and partially up sides of pie tin. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool.
- To make the filling, place 3 tablespoons of cold water in a small ramekin. Slowly sprinkle gelatin evenly over water, being careful not to let it clump. Let bloom (it is done when it soaks up all the water - this will happen pretty quickly).
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, salt and flour.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolk and milk together.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan of dry ingredients and whisk to dissolve.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. It should come to a boil and thicken.
- Turn off heat and stir in gelatin until dissolves. Take off heat and add the vanilla and rums. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Arrange a third of the bananas (one banana) on the bottom of the graham cracker crust. Pour half the pudding over it. Continue to layer another third of the bananas, followed by the other half of the pudding. Top with remaining third of bananas.
- Store in the refrigerator until pudding has set, approximately 3 hours.