Almost like Grandma used to make. This recipe has NO traditional starches. Is LOW carb and is full of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 instant Oxo (packages instant beef)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 500 g cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (700 ml) jars spaghetti sauce
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot of water and continue to boil - put your cabbage in and gently remove the leaves as they separate from the head - set them aside for rolling.
- Microwave your frozen vegetables - drain very well and set aside.
- In a large pan (i use a wok)heat oil.
- Cook onion on Medium High heat until opaque.
- add your meat and brown.
- at this point you are going to super infuse your meat with lots of flavor - you are going to add: Garlic Powder, oxo, steak sauce, Worcestershire, soy sauce and mix together well and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add your mushrooms and mixed vegetables and stir continuing to cook on a lowish heat.
- Add the cottage cheese and eggs - cook WELL - the eggs need to be completely cooked (about 10 minutes).
- Add cheese and mix well to bind the ingredients together.
- Set mixture aside and allow to cool.
- Pour a little of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of your oven safe baking dish to coat the bottom.
- Place one big scoop of filling in the middle of the cabbage leaf near the spine - Roll gently folding the edges in as you go - place in the oven safe dish and continue with your creating until you are out of cabbage. If you have small leaves you can overlap two to make ONE MORE cabbage roll --.
- Evenly distribute the tomatoes over all of the cabbage rolls you have created.
- Evenly distribute the spaghetti sauce over all of the cabbage rolls you have created making sure they are all completely covered - you can use a little water at the end just to ensure they are covered.
- sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for (1 hour if freezing) or 2 hours if serving.
- IF you are freezing some or all of your cabbage rolls - remove them from the oven - allow to cool - cover with Foil - and freeze. To reheat - cook at 350°F - for 1 hour - if still frozen for 1 1/2 hours.