Cook1 hr 10 mins
I'm a coward when it comes to okra. Yes, I know it is used for its thickening qualities, but I just can't bring myself to use this vegetable.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons pepper sauce, Original TABASCO brand
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole okra
- hot cooked rice
- Combine flour and salt in a plastic or paper bag.
- Add chicken pieces, close bag, and shake to coat well.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Shake excess flour from chicken and place in hot oil, cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, green onion, and garlic to pot and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Return chicken to pot.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, and TABASCO Sauce and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add okra and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve in bowls and top each serving with a scoop of rice.