Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is GREAT. It uses Emeril's Essence seasoning, but instead of wasting money on pre-made spice mixes I always make them myself. Most of us usually have all the ingredients on hand anyway! The mix is at the beginning. It makes about 1/2 cup. It will keep for about 16 monnths.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 large poblano chile
- 1 large onion (unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots (minced)
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup good quality dark chocolate (melted)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds (inside only, chopped, toasted)
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios (chopped, toasted)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (chopped, toasted)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 cup good quality dark chocolate (melted)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (8 ounce) boneless center-cut pork loin chops
- Make Essence: Combine the papkria, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne, thyme and onion powder. Set aside.
- Heat oven 475.
- Place the pepper and unpeeled onion directly on the rack. Roast 15-20 minutes or until charred all over. Remove. Enclose in a plastic bag. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel both. Seed and chop.
- Reduce oven to 375.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add pepper, onion, shallots and garlic. Saute 3 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of Essence.
- Add stock. Bring to a boil. Cook over high for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the chocolate and cream. Reduce. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Check seasoning, if needed add a touch more of Essence.
- Puree. Return to saucepan. Cover. Set aside.
- Process the pepitos, pistachios, pine nuts and breadcrumbs until fine. Season with Essence. Place in a shallow bowl.
- Place chocolate in another bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet until very hot.
- Add pork. Sear 1 minute each side. Let cool.
- Dredge each in chocolate then nut crumbs to coat.
- Place on a sprayed rack over a baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and just cooked through.
- Re-heat sauce. Place on plates. Top with a chop.