Chef Garcia's version, with strawberries, yogurt and crushed cornflakes are delicious. Her note on the nutrition info: "0when compared to a traditional recipe, has a 19 percent reduction in calories, a 25 percent reduction in carbohydrates and a 64 percent reduction in sugars!"
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute, granular
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut diagonally in half (1 inch slices)
- 4 cups corn flakes cereal, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
- 1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine milk, half-and-half, SPLENDA® Granular, and vanilla; whisk until SPLENDA® Granular dissolves. Add eggs, whisking until blended.
- Dip bread into the milk mixture; dredge in cornflakes cereal. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon over 6 plates. Arrange 2 toast triangles in the center of each plate. Arrange strawberries around toast; top toast with a small scoop of vanilla yogurt. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
Certainly a different way of making French toast, & a wonderfully satisfying way, at that! I cut the recipe in half & also used a strawberry yogurt! Appreciated that this toast was baked! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
Just wonderful! This was very crispy and delicious. My family loved it. I used the cornflake crumbs that come already crushed in a box and they worked great.
This is a great recipe but make certain that your cornflake crumbs are *very* finely crushed for this recipe or they will not hold onto the bread, a problem I ran into while making this! I used 1/4 cup sugar for this in place of Splenda and all milk, thanks for sharing Marra!...Kitten:)