photo by Nimz_
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, approx.
- 4 -6 slices challa egg bread, sliced into 1 inch slices
- Mix vanilla, eggs, sugar, and cream to blend well.
- Place egg bread slices into mixture to soak for 3 minutes or until thoroughly moist.
- Coat both sides of moistened bread with the crumbs.
- Melt a small dab of margarine in a large heavy pan.
- Add bread slices and brown well on both sides, add more butter or margarine to pan when necessary, just to prevent sticking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a awesome french toast recipe. My kids request if frequently! I use a loaf of french bread and cut the slices thick. I also found that I use more bread crumbs then the recipe calls for and add a little cinnamon. I double the recipe when I make this because the left overs freeze well. I pop them in the microwave on those busy mornings! They are way better then the "frozen french toast" you buy in the grocery store!
This has become my family's favorite breakfast! The first morning I made it, I went to Great Harvest Bread Company to buy french toast bread (basically a cinnamon roll bread). I now use my favorite cinnamon roll recipe (Clone of a Cinnabon). I roll the dough tightly, stick a few wooden skewers vertically to decrease the separation between layers, and cut the roll to fit 2 loaf pans. Bake the roll, loaves. Cut into 3/4 to 1" slices and proceed. This would be good with any thickly slicked bread, but the cinnamon roll bread is a nice twist!