Kittencal's Extra Crispy French Fries
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 6mins
- water (about 4 quarts water)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 6 large red potatoes (cut into 1/4 to 1/3-inch strips)
- canola oil (or use vegetable oil, use enough oil to cover potatoes completely)
- seasoning salt
- In an extra large bowl dissolve the sugar completely in the water (the sugar must be completely dissolved).
- Add in the potato strips and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day drain well then pat the strips dry using paper towels.
- In a large heavy pot or deep-fryer heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully add potatoes in 2-3 batches and cook in hot oil for about 6 minutes or until golden brown (do not cook all the potatoes in one batch).
- Remove the fries using a large slotted spoon or long tongs and immediately season with seasoned salt or white salt while still hot.
- *NOTE* save the cooled oil in a jar at room temperature for the next time you make these.
This worked magically! I only had 5 hours to soak the potato strips in sugar water, but they didn't absorb any oil on either frying! They were crisp and perfect! I thought I had cut the strips too big, but they were the perfect size after frying twice. Fried in peanut oil and they had the BEST flavor! My boys LOVED them! Thanks for another winner!