Southern Fried French Toast
My mom used to make fried french toast on special occasions, it was a family favorite. It has a nice crispy coating on the outside. I like a good loaf of thick cut French bread for this.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices French bread
- oil, to fry
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together.
- Add the eggs and mix until it a smooth paste.
- Add milk gradually until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Heat a frying pan with 1/2" of oil over medium heat.
- Dip pieces of bread into the batter.
- Gently place the bread into the oil, fry until golden on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with warm syrup and butter.
- I use Ming Tsai's 8-Spice Powder instead of cinnamon, it's got cinnamon, allspice, anise, cardamom, ginger, fennel, clove and cumin in it.
- I got mine at Target, it adds a very exotic flavor.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I love this toast! Nice and crispy on the outside- moist and soft on the inside. I didn't find anything to be too dry at all. I suggest that also maybe leaving it in the batter a little longer if its too dry- and don't forget to add the milk like it says otherwise it will be that way. I made my batter a little thicker and let it soak a second and THEN fried it. GREAT STUFF!Reply