Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another one of my mom's great recipes. I can remember fights at the table over who got the last piece. My dad always won. Great the next day if any's left over.
- 4 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
- 9.85 ml Crisco cooking oil
- 59.14 ml cooking sherry
- 1 small onion
- 118.29-236.59 ml sour cream
- 1 package frozen peas
- 9.85 ml frozen orange juice
- 4.92 ml paprika (Hungarian)
- 59.14 ml condensed chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Wash chicen and pat dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- I like to use a crazy salt or seasoned salt.
- In a large skillet heat oil and brown chicken.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Cook onions in dripping until soft.
- Add paprika.
- Add chicken to skillet turning once to coat with paprika.
- Remove chicken and add cooking sherry and chicken broth to onions and drippings.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to medium Add peas and chicken.
- Cook until peas are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove Chicken.
- Add sour cream and 2 T frozen orange juice to peas and onions.
- Heat through, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- Garnish with additional paprika and snipped parsley or chives.
- Great the next day if any is left over.
I thought this unique version of Chicken Paprikash was delicious. I had never had this dish with orange juice and peas in it before and thought these ingredients complimented the dish very nicely. Easy to prepare,clear instructions, filling, and tasty results. Notes: I used real sherry rather than cooking sherry (which I find too salty) and I also used freshly squeezed orange juice rather than the concentrate, as that was all I had on hand. I would repeat these changes as everything worked out perfectly. (See photo).
This is a truely terrific dish. I followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't even dream of changing a thing next time I prepare this. I didn't even end up with leftovers which is unusual around our place. It was quick to prepare cook and eat too. I started preparing at 5pm and by 6pm we were finished eating. Yummy. Thanks sharing your recipe!