Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A favorite old fashioned soft molasses cookie recipe coming from Nova Scotia.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- Cream together shortening, butter and sugar until light.
- Blend in molasses and egg.
- Dissolve soda in boiling water and add to mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients and add gradually, mixing well to make a soft dough.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- A little more flour may be added, only enough to make dough easy to handle.
- Cut and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 375 8-10 mins.
these were great little cookies! so soft. i made them into the shape of gingerbread men and put a thin powdered sugar frosting on them. they dissapeared! i did have to add about a half a cup or so more flour to make them workable but they were so soft and delicious. thanks