Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was an attempt to recreate a yummy pesto lasagna I had in Riomaggiore, Italy on my honeymoon. If, like me, you don't like the tomato sauce and ricotta of traditional lasagna, this is a great alternative! I easily convert this to a vegan dish by using Tofutti Better than Sour Cream and Better than Cream Cheese, with shredded soy cheese.
- 1 cup pesto sauce (I like Classico Creations)
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles (cooked and drained according to package)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese, until smooth and creamy.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto sauce onto bottom of greased casserole dish.
- Lay three lasagne noodles over pesto spread, trim if needed.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto sauce over noodles, followed by 1/3 of cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded parmesan over top of layer.
- Repeat two more layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and noodles are heated through.
I was served this dish not long ago, and when my mouth bit into the Smooth and Creamy part, I wondered if this was the main part of the meal or had I skipped right to a fabulous dessert. The pesto is a nice alternative to the traditional tomato base, and I have no doubt that before long this chef will be making her own.