Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Liver is one of those things you either like or don't, but it should be given a chance. Choices include beef, calf's, or pork liver. The last two have a milder and sweeter taste and are to be preferred. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 (6 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 lbs liver, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat or 4 tablespoons other fat
- 2⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a baking dish.
- Sprinkle liver with flour, salt and pepper.
- Saute in fat until golden brown.
- Place in prepared baking dish.
- Mix vegetables together and pour over liver.
- Cover and bake about an hour.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente; drain well and set to the side.
- Place liver on a platter; add cheese to the vegetables remaining in baking dish and cook until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange noodles around the liver and surround with cooked vegetable mixture.