Recipe by TGirl,RN
Hey, single people never complain about too many leftovers when those leftovers are chocolate cake!! This cake can serve four people, or just one choco-holic who doesn't mind leftovers.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Finally a lovely small chocolate cake for 2 people (well at least in our house).
This way I don't end up eating too much cake because there will be no leftovers. Only difference being I like to using coffee rather than water in the cake. Thanks again for a great idea.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour, all purpose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl, mix chocolate with boiling water, stirring until blended.
- After mixture cools, add sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla, and combine.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with milk.
- Add vinegar, and pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Allow cake to cool completely before applying frosting.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients EXCEPT vanilla and butter in a saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for 1 and 1/2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Set pan in ice bath (a large bowl of ice water) and beat for 1 minute.
- Add butter and vanilla, and beat for 10 more minutes, or until it reaches desired consistency for spreading on cake.
- Frost completely cooled cake, and serve.