Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hey, single people never complain about too many leftovers when those leftovers are chocolate cake!! This cake can serve four people, or just one choco-holic who doesn't mind leftovers.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour, all purpose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In mixing bowl, mix chocolate with boiling water, stirring until blended.
- After mixture cools, add sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla, and combine.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with milk.
- Add vinegar, and pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Allow cake to cool completely before applying frosting.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients EXCEPT vanilla and butter in a saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for 1 and 1/2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Set pan in ice bath (a large bowl of ice water) and beat for 1 minute.
- Add butter and vanilla, and beat for 10 more minutes, or until it reaches desired consistency for spreading on cake.
- Frost completely cooled cake, and serve.
Finally a lovely small chocolate cake for 2 people (well at least in our house).
This way I don't end up eating too much cake because there will be no leftovers. Only difference being I like to using coffee rather than water in the cake. Thanks again for a great idea.