Recipe by JustJanS
A light, easy dessert that pleases most people and a great way to finish a meal.
Top Review by Zaarina
This was the perfect ending to a Mexican Feast. Served it with a creme anglaise. Everyone who begged off from dessert at first (because they were too full from dinner) came back for seconds of the refreshing dessert.
- 6 ripe oranges
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 piece vanilla bean
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a zester, remove the rind of 2 oranges.
- (if you don't have a zester, use a vegetable peeler, then cut into fine strips).
- Place these in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, and cook until slightly softened.
- Drain the peel, and return to the saucepan with the sugar, vanilla bean, and 125ml water.
- Simmer very gently until the strips become transparent.
- Peel all the oranges removing ALL the pith, then carefully segment.
- Place the oranges in a bowl.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the syrup (which will be rather thick).
- Add the liqueur and brandy then stir and pour this over the orange pieces.
- Cover and chill well.
- This looks good served in glasses with an extra thick cream.