Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from week 17 of my food blog, Travel by Stove. I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Austria is my 17th stop. This popular appetizer is usually served on pumpernickel or rye bread.
- 8 ounces smooth farmer's cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste or 1 tablespoon finely chopped anchovy
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Mix the farmer's cheese with the onion, anchovies, capers, caraway seeds and paprika.
- Serve on pumpernickel or rye bread.
I served this at a recent Austrian themed dinner and it was a huge hit!
Not my favorite Liptauer recipe. When I first read the recipe I was concerned about the chopped onion. I wanted to follow the recipe, however, I was right, the onion was way too overpowering.Chives or spring onions would have made a made a big difference. Made for "More Than Sauerkraut and Dumplings"/ German Forum.