Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Liptauer Cheese is an appetizer dip, a soft, smooth and cream mixture to be scoped up on crackers, potato chips, pretzels, etc. You can make this ahead of time and store in the refrigerator, but be sure to take it out before you serve it. Let it stand for about 45 minutes or until room temperature to serve.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon pickled capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (heaping)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 boned anchovy fillet
- Cream the butter in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and beat until smoothly blended.
- Chop the caraway seeds in a blender and then add to the butter mixture.
- Chop capers finely and add to mixture.
- Add mustard and paprika.
- Rinse, dry and chop the anchovy then stir into the cheese mixture and blend well.
- Shape into a neat rectangle on serving plate and border with pretzels.
WOW! This cheese spread is OUTSTANDING!!!I used Anchovie Paste, other than that as listed. I used it in my cooking classes and it was a big hit. No one had ever tasted anything like it. I grew up in Germany however and my mother used to make this. Thanks for a great recipe. It will be used all over the place now for the Holidays.Koechin/Ingrid